Monday, November 4, 2013

Comic Book Geek


 In addition to the work I've been doing on my online stores, all the advertising, learning new songs on guitar, writting episodes of White Trash Heroes, making WTH shirts, and everything else I've got going on, I've been slowly making my way through watching all 10 seasons of Smallville. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the series when it first came out. It focused too much on the romance lives of the characters and the "Super" of Superman seemed to be in short supply. But later episodes had a better balance of action and romance. So several months ago I started watching the series from the beginning.

Well, tonight I watched my favorite episode "Absolute Justice". I have never seen this episode before, but I had a pretty good idea that I was going to like it. It was a 2 part episode that introduced the Justice Society of America to the Smallville universe. Most characters brought to Smallville are brought to life with a minimum amount of spandex ( Green Arrow being the first character to really have a costume ) but when doing the JSA, you just can't avoid it. Originally planned as one episode, producers decided to expand the story to 2 parts because of the amount of new costume designs that would have to be made, particularly in the case of Hawkman. Preproduction and costume design was started early in the season, much further in advance than usual.

The episode focused mainly on Hawkman, Dr Fate, and Stargirl, but also featured Star-Spangled Kid and Sandman, and in flashback sequences uncostumed versions of the golden age Green Lantern and Flash, Wildcat, and more. There are tons of small details in the set background and I'm sure I missed some things watching for the first time. The Luthor mansion set was disassembled and used for the JSA headquarters, but you would never know to look at it.



No comments:

Post a Comment